Annual Evaluations are both nervous and exciting times in most companies. That’s because an employee is forced to face the relative truth about how the management perceives them and their work.
However, the management’s perception may not always be 100% accurate. So we’ve come up with a better way to preempt the annual evaluation of each employee in the team.
And it starts with the employee.
Here’s the process:
- Employee needs to compile what he/she has contributed to the company on top of his/her job description – be as objective as possible
- Review the Mechanisms with Teeth and see if he/she has accumulated at least 5 points
- Compose an email to be sent to the management about your 5 points and justify how each point has been achieved
- Put in a narrative of the things you contributed to the company that is outside of your job description
- Send the email with the subject line: “Reverse Annual Evaluation”
- The management will review the email and decide if it is approved or rejected
- If approved, we will move the annual evaluation to the management’s perspective – which is now an expedited process since the points in the reverse annual evaluation are valid
Do note that the annual evaluation in SEO Hacker is quite strictly a matter of salary increase since we already have our Fast Feedback Loops as a loose monthly evaluation of our work and character.
We believe that it should be the employee’s responsibility to be self-aware of where they are in their contribution to the company. If an employee desires their salary to increase, it is primarily their responsibility to know that they have done enough or more than enough to merit it.
This is a win-win in the sense that the transparency and self-awareness from the employee will make it faster for the management to make a decision and at the same time, the employee does not need to wait for the management’s time-frame on when to evaluate them.